About Reynolds Homestead
The Reynolds Homestead is a Commonwealth Campus Center of Virginia Tech located in Critz, Virginia. It features Rock Spring Plantation, the birthplace and boyhood home of tobacco manufacturer R.J. Reynolds, and a Community Enrichment Center.
Built in 1843, by Hardin Reynolds for his bride, Nancy Jane Cox Reynolds, the two-story brick plantation home has been restored to its nineteenth century state and includes many of the original family furnishings. The grounds include the original brick kitchen, a brick milk house, a log icehouse, a log granary and a reconstructed tobacco barn. The family cemetery is located near the house and across a field is the cemetery for enslaved African Americans. The house is state and national landmark, and it is open for tours throughout the week by appointment. During the months of April through October, tours are available Saturday and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The guided tour fee is $5 for adults and $3 for students and children. Group tours are welcome and a brunch or lunch can be included at an additional cost. Please call 276-694-7181 to schedule a weekday or group tour.
Also on the property is the Reynolds Homestead Community Enrichment Center, which hosts a variety of programs and workshops for all ages and interests. Music, art workshops, lectures, children’s activities, fitness programs and movies are among events offered. All events are open to the public, and many require no admission fee. For a current Calendar of Events, click here. Both the historic home and the Community Enrichment Center are administered by Virginia Tech’s Office of Outreach and International Affairs.
Surrounding the Rock Spring Plantation and Continuing Ed Center is a 794-acre Forest Resources Research Center, operated by the College of Natural Resources and Environment. The center was created to study forest biology, genetics, physiology and soils, and it is equipped with a laboratory, greenhouses, slat house, nursery bed, field space and Virginia Tech staff for program support.
R.J. Reynolds left Critz in 1874 and took his tobacco expertise to Winston-Salem where he founded R.J.R Tobacco Company. To learn more about Reynolda House, the 1917 home built by Katharine Smith Reynolds and her husband R.J., click here.
For More Information
For more information about the Homestead or any of its programs, please call (276) 694-7181 ext. 21 weekdays between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. You may also contact us via email through this website.